Monday, July 7, 2008

looking for some running partners


So I have officially signed myself up to run in a 5k at the end of July. Its not the first 5k I've ever run in but I am trying really hard to stick with a 'training schedule' this time so I feel ready to run it. (although the adrenaline rush when I finish a race is just as good even if I'm not totally prepared ahead of time!)

I have only run in two other 5k races ever (and these were in the past year). One I trained somewhat for and one I intended to walk but decided to try a slow jog with a friend at the last minute and amazed myself that I ran almost the entire race. I actually am not very athletically inclined at all but the old body is beginning to decline and I want to be healthy and strong as I age.

So I am asking a few of my friends to be my running 'partners' as I train. To be a running partner you do not have to run with me while I am training or run in this 5k race or even run at all. If you could just cheer me on and ask me how I am doing with my training that would be excellent! (although I LOVE that Lauren is willing to run with me at my slow, short-legged pace once a week!) Another option as 'running partners' is to sponser me $10 - I need to raise at least $100 to enter for Young Life. (I'm close and would love to raise over $100.)

So for those of you who are on board here's my schedule this week. On Tuesday I am to run for 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes and repeat 4 times for a total of 40 minutes. (I did this Saturday and that last 8 minutes just about killed me!) Thursday and Saturday I am going to attempt to run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes and repeat 4 times for a total of 48 minutes. It will be a minor miracle if I actually complete these 48 minute runs. Thankfully, I should be able to run the 5k in under 40 minutes, I'm aiming for about 35.

Thanks for all your encouragement and support my friends!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm so glad Lauren is going to run with you. I wish I was around to run with you as well, I would definitely have trained for the 5k with you if I were in Michigan. Good luck...you'll do great! And much love from Malaysia :)

lu said...

Thanks Meredith! I will keep up with your adventure through your blog. God bless!

dawn said...

I wrote some funny stuff to you, but I posted it wrong.

Oh well, Keep up the good work.

Wish you had run with us in Cincy!

Look of Lovely said...

LAURA! I work on Saturday morning, but would love to run in the evening if you are up for it :] Let me know!

lu said...

I'm planning to run with RivRunners on Saturday morning so I won't be up for running that evening. Sorry. Maybe next week.

BTW - today the training schedule suggested I run 10 minutes then walk 2 and repeat 4 times for a total of 48 minutes. Ugh! I didn't think I could do more than the first three 10/2 sets but when I got to the last one (I was sooo tired) I told myself to just run as much as I could and, with God's help, I ran for 8 more minutes. I'm pretty proud of myself!