Saturday, May 10, 2008

the Sounds of Summer


Hearing the birds chirping in late February or early March is my cue that spring is coming. So you'd think that the sound of crickets or peep-toads would be my cue that summer is almost here. But no, for me the sound that lets me know that summer is on its way is the sound of the cars racing around the "short track" just a couple of miles from my home. In all seriousness, somehow that sound has become soothing to me - I hear it through my open windows and I know its summer (or almost). I have never attended an event at Spartan Speedway nor do I have much interest in auto racing - but I celebrate the long lazy days of summer when I hear that sound on a warm Friday evening.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

oh how i love myself a little auto racing...you should look into it. your love for that sound could increase even further!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah I love how sounds and smells trigger your feelings of a new season. For me, summer is the sound of a lawn mower and the smell of cut grass. Happiness:)